Monday, October 14, 2013

Daily Adoring: God of Heaven Above and the Earth Beneath

She hides them under stalks of flax -

When the threat of danger lies at her door, when her very life and theirs is pressed close to the heat of danger,

she acknowledges Him and her life is saved:

And as soon as we heard it, our hearts melted, and there was no spirit left in any man because of you, for the Lord your God, He is God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath.  Joshua 2:11

The men above her on the roof of her house and the guards below her demanding questions at her door and as she stood in between the two, she recognized the truth - He is God of all that is beneath and God of all that is above and He is present with her in the middle of it all.


He still is.


Danger - it can come in all forms and attack from all sides and we can be hidden beneath His Blood and still the enemy prowls around us like a lion.

He is seeking to devour God's children.


And I can sit in a chair and join in on the conversations around me while the air is being pressed out of my lungs by anxiety and when I find my hands trembling and groping for something to hold on to, I reach into my pocket and grab hold of His truth:


You keep him in perfect peace

    whose mind is stayed on You,
    because he trusts in You.
Isaiah 26:3


The moon breaks through the dark above me tonight, I can see parts of that cratered face peeking through. The ground is covered by the yellow of autumn leaves and the odd car or two that Elias has left behind. And in the middle spaces that I walk through, He keeps me steady. When it is hard to breathe, He calls me to bend my will to His.  And His peace begins to replace my fear.

He is God of the heavens and God of the earth and He is the Father Who holds me fast in the in between.



Daily Adoring:
You keep me in perfect peace when I focus my mind on You. When I open my hands in surrender and trust in You, You are glorified.  And in the small spaces and the big places and in the middle ground I find my feet on, You meet me here. You meet me here and You show Yourself trustworthy and mighty to save and my heart and my breath slows. God of heaven above and earth beneath, You fill the air around me and I can find rest for the ache that threatens to break my heart.  You are holy and worthy.  Amen.