Monday, September 30, 2013

Daily Adoring: God Who has the Words of Life

I can still remember the bowl all steamy placed in front of me while I sat at someone else's table.

I was in high school and I sang in a choir that traveled around Western Canada and down into Montana, and it was in this house on the prairies that I had been placed overnight and come morning, we all gathered around that farm table.


And while we began to eat, the father picked up his worn bible and said,

"While you are filling your bodies with physical food, I am going to give you your spiritual food for the day."


I remember trying not to laugh - it sounded so ludicrous, and for how many years, I continued to feel the same way.

But he knew something I obviously didn't, Christian-school bred and all:


The Words of God are Words of Life and the only way to keep a soul from shriveling up and drying out is to fill your life up with them.


His Words are living and active and the more your read, the more your edges are peeled back and you find more broken places exposed and the more you realize how incredibly sinful you really are...


But like Simon Peter, the loud-mouth rock the church would be built on, I don't want to run from His truth. I don't want to run from His Holiness that exposes me, because the depth of His Grace and Love is exposed there too.

And the adoring from the strong-willed fisherman who saw Jesus with his eyes becomes my own by faith,

But Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have
the Words of eternal life. Also, we have come to believe and know that 
You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.   John 6:68-69

To Whom shall I go? To the Only One Who has the Words of Life that have saved me and made me His.